Inhaling Helium Can be a Deadly Party Trick

A 14-year-old girl died last weekend at a party Fox News described has having “booze and marijuana.” However, it wasn’t the drinking or the drugs that caused Ashley Long’s death.

Instead, it was the helium she inhaled.

What is commonly a fun party trick where people breathe in the helium to make their voices sound higher and funnier can have deadly effects– especially if taken straight from a pressurized tank like the kids did this night.

Inhaling helium can cause gas bubbles to go into the blood stream, ultimately obstructing blood flow to the brain and causing stroke. One-time use can also cause hemorrhagingĀ in your lungs.

To watch a video about this danger from the show The Doctors, check out this link here:

One thought on “Inhaling Helium Can be a Deadly Party Trick

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s